Faculty Profile-adequacy and competency of faculty.
The Department of KANNADA is as old as the institution itself. Kanara College Society started Dr. A. V. Baliga College Of Commerce in 1966 to meet the growing needs of business education in North Kanara District. It is the first independent commerce college in the district and second one in the jurisdiction of Karnataka University, Dharwad. There after many colleges have been started. Over the years it had various luminaries such as Dr. L. R. Hegde, Prof. L. V. Pai, Prof. B. R. Sirmukhaddam, and Dr. B. P. Ramayya, Prof. Rama M. Shet, Dr. G. L. Hegde, Prof. S. N. Bhat, Dr. M. D. Naik on its staff. As per the university guidelines Commerce is the single faculty college in which Kannada is one of the optional subject at first degree level. Again in 1998 when Karnataka University introduced BBA Course our college also started BBA to provide management education and there after the college is renamed as Dr.A.V.Baliga College Of Commerce and Business Administration. The Kannada section is an aided one and the BBA is a self financed course. The Students of the department are well placed in different walks of life.
The faculty fulfills the eligibility conditions. The department has adequate and competent faculty. Each of the faculty besides teaching experience, papers presented at National, seminars and workshops. The department provides to the students much needed guidance and support.
|Name of the teacher||Designation||Qualification||Research experience||Teaching experience|
|1) Dr. Arvind S. Nayak||Lecturer||M.A., PhD, B.Ed.||05 years||07 years|
- Student profile-entry level competencies, socio-economic status, language proficiency etc.
Students largely come from rural background and mostly proficient in Kannada, the regional language. They have working knowledge of English.
|Year 2009 – 10||Year 2010-11|
- Changes made in the courses or programmes during the past two years and the contribution of the faculty to those changes.
Working as it does in the affiliating system. The department has no freedom to change the programme.
- Trends in the success and dropout rates of students during past two years.
Year : 2009 – 2010
|B.com I sem||56||50||89.28||06|
|B.B.A I sem||31||30||96.97||01|
|B.com II sem
B.B.A II sem
|B.com I sem
B.B.A I sem
B.B.A II sem
- Learning resources of the department-
The central library has considerable collection of books and CD/DVDs related to Hindi. The INFLIBNET Database E- Library is helping the students to access Hindi Journals.
- Modern teaching methods practiced and use of ICT in teaching ?? learning.
The faculty had been adapting ICT aids teaching for select topics and seminars. Recently two Smart boards have been installed. Along with chalk and talk method of teaching, Students are encouraged to learn through participatory seminars, workshops, group discussions, power point presentations, home assignments and project works.
- Participation of teachers in academic and personal counseling of students.
Teachers of the department are always available to personal guidance to the students.
- Details of faculty development programmes and teachers who have been benefited during the past two years.
|Name of the Faculty||No. of Orientation /Refresher courses||No. of Seminars
|No. of Conferences|
|Dr. Arvind S. Nayak||—||02||—|
- Participation / Contribution of teachers to the academic activities including
teaching, consultancy and research.
|Sl. No.||Faculty||Articles||Books||Minor research projects|
|1||Dr. Arvind S. Nayak||01||—||—|
Article 1) Nanna Neralu published in the Sovenier of Shri Ganeshotsava Samithi,Hiregutti Kumta.
- Worked as Secretary of Yuvaka sanga Hiregutti , Kumta.
- Worked as President of Karnataka state Secondary school teachers association Kumta Taluk.
- Working as NSS Programme Officer of the college since last three years.
- Working as a Editor of Editorial Board of College Magazine Vanijya every year.
- Collaboration with other departments/institutions, at the State, National and International levels, and their outcome during the past two years.Organized series of special lectures on different topics of Literature and Music Programme on Geetaramayan in April 2009 for four days.
- Organized series of special lectures on different topics of Literature and Flute Music Programme in March 2010 for three days.
- Organizing examination on Ramayan and Mahabharat instituted by Bharat Sanskrit Pratisthan, Bangalore for college students from 2007 onwards.
- Priority areas for research and details of the ongoing projects, important and noteworthy publications of the faculty, during past two years.
Ph.D work is in progress.The topic of the research is Agera,Mukri,Hallera Jnangagala Sanskratika Adhyayana
- Placement record of the past students and the contribution of the department to aid student placement.
The college is an independent Commerce college. The placement service is made through placement cell. In 2009-10 total placement is made to 19 students and in 2010-1 total placement is made to 41.
13.Plan of action of the department for the next five years.
Plans to organise
- Planned to conduct one National Seminar on Human Rights in association with other language departments.
- Planned to conduct a Workshop on Business in literature in association with other language departments.
- Achievers Vision ( Inter collegiate level fest).